Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Copyright Action Plan

Copyright laws are not as prevelant in the gymnasium or the weightroom like they are in the classroom. Honestly, being a physical educator and personal trainer copyright is one of the last things on my mind. There also is not as much media available or required for use. Much of the media is pointless to use when training and conditioning is involved. So i guess i will pretend that I am going to use media that will correlate three different points dealing with copyright.
  1. Videotapes
  2. Off-air taping
  3. Multimedia and Educators

First of all, videotapes may rarely be used like all the other media types in physical education classroom. After reading what the Missouri Department of Education states about videotapes i have come to the conclusion that I will only show a video if it is correlated with my lesson.

Secondly, Off-air taping is something else that could possibly be used in physical education or through personal training. Having students film and describe their personal training sessions is a good idea for class participation and for a self-responsibility project. However, according to the Missouri Department of Education this type of copyright would only play an effect if the taping was of a program from the television. I would not allow my students to do so and would encourage them to create their own training programs for their personal training videos.

Lastly, is multimedia for educators. There are several laws of copyright for this particular topic. I would use a power point, if any media at all. I would teach through a power point created by me and cite all information retrieved elsewhere. I would also be sure to check the copyright laws for each specific aspect of the presentation such as pasteing a video, adding audio, etc.

I will try my best to follow the copyright laws, but I am not going to sit here and lie saying that I will always keep them in mind. They are very easy to forget and there way too many to remember.

No comments: